share this

Sunday, January 22, 2012

Is your manuscript conservative enough for the publishers market

I can with certainty say that my manuscript isn't, o dear am I to change the plot, the characters or the chronological order and even the viewpoints? Perhaps I should, perhaps I shouldn't.
I do admit I am guilty of at least one of the above crimes. There are more reasons why a book is rejected than I have fingers and toes.
Such as low tension, a poorly developed protagonist or even worse a non existing protagonist.
However there are many reason why publishers might not want your manuscript, there might be one that does want it. The thing is, you need to read their admission rules and stick to them.


One of the most controversial books written in the 20th century was Catch 22 by Joshep Heller.
This book goes against all the rules ever made up by any publisher, yet it was never rejected.

 In the music industry there are many possibilities and genres. I can't think of any type of music or there is a niche and a label for it. Of course there is also Indie, which are independent labels. With some knowledge of IT you can even produce your own records. So why don't we do the same thing as an author? I'm not saying that every one who has written a 80,000 word essay should venture into the self publishing world. But I do believe it is time for changes in the reading corner. There are young people out there, having there own new style of writing and yet they hear time after time their work isn't what the public wants. Actually what the publishers are saying is that they don't want to take the risk of taking on a new author. They rather stay on the well known road. 


No comments:

Post a Comment